Thursday, October 3, 2013

Primitive Persistence

I have always viewed persistence as a gamble.  If I persist it may or may not pay off.  Because of this lack of faith in myself I've given myself the excuse that it's better to just cut my losses and do something else.  I'm really just a lazy butt
Today some plans changed and I found myself in the middle of a forest that borders the St. Johns floodplain.  I was being swarmed with mosquitoes and it was getting hot and everything was pretty much as miserable as it could get.  My mind was not worried about the discomfort though, I was totally focused on one thing.  I was out in the woods looking for pygmy rattlesnakes.  I wanted to find one in an ambush position, ready to strike and envenomate any small creature that might cross within striking range.  Normally they're coiled up at the base of a tree or somewhere really well camouflaged. JK people always just cruise them up on roads. lol

The one I found totally took me by surprise!  It was loosely coiled in a small bush right above a fallen palm tree trunk.  I had wanted to find one up off the ground ever since I had heard of their semi-arboreal habits.  As is their fashion, this one just sat there and let me film all around from every angle.  It was totally calm and I got to spend a lot of time filming it.

Now I see persistence as an investment.  You invest that time or misery until it pays off because it will pay off.  What's great about the payoff, is when it inspires you to be persistent that much more the next time you're after something.  Today was a good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment