Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mosquito Immunity

Disclaimer: What I'm about to say is my best guess based on my experiences and some of it is based on articles I've read.  Basically, don't take this as fact, rather if you read something that doesn't sound quite right then go look it up.

Anyway, the method mosquitoes use to suck blood is by injecting an anti-coagulant and sticking their flexible "straw" into the the skin and wiggling it around until it hits a blood vessel and then it begins to suck up the thinned blood.  Now it's the anti-coagulant that gives you that itchy bump that you notice later.  However, after enough exposure you become immune.  Now, I still get bit and it hurts but the next day I have no bumps or itches.  It's rather nice being able to only suffer briefly.

This immunity is only worth anything if you have a safe haven where you can have some relief in nature.   Now this could be a smokey shelter or an open field but the point is you get away from nature's most annoying creature.   

Unfortunately, mosquitoes are a fact of life for animals in the wilderness and I must understand how to cope with them as nature will only leave us small windows of bliss with no annoyances.

No comments:

Post a Comment