Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Thatching with the Sabal Palm

The sabal palm tree is Florida's state tree.  It's also a great source for many natural materials that are important in survival situations. 

The large fronds are ideal for thatching, as if they were made for it.  A few months ago a friend taught me how to thatch.  Since then I've been doing a lot of thatching and finally finished up a little hut.  Of course I filmed the whole thing and showed how thatching works and how I did it. 

I'm really happy with my hut and I'm just waiting on some rain to see how waterproof it is.  Here's the video and I hope y'all get out there and thatch something!


1 comment:

  1. Sabal palm is a tree who survive in many natural situation. It is a waterproof material. Are you want thatching a beautiful hut. Many types of Sabal palm tree available in South and North Carolina. If you want to know the details of Sabal Palm then search our website http://www.palmtreedepot.com/.

    ReplyDelete