Saturday, September 28, 2013

WARNING: Hot Snakes

Among reptile enthusiasts "hot" refers to a venomous snake.   I want to focus on hot snakes here in Florida and try to give you a better understanding.  What I say may apply to other species as well.   In general snakes try to stay hidden and out of harm's way as much as possible.  They have a lot of predators and it's in their best interest to keep a low profile.  Many of them have some really good camouflage for this purpose.

There are three species of rattlesnake here in the sunshine state, all of which are pretty toxic.  They are all ambush predators so they spend a lot of time sitting and waiting near rodent trails mostly on the ground.  The last thing they want is to be discovered by a human.  However, they come with a warning system.  In the timber and diamondback rattlers the rattles are quite audible and that rattle will certainly stand out in the woods if you find yourself approaching the snake.  I think it is very kind of them to use that warning system.

Moccasins or cottonmouths have a more unusual warning system and I got to personally experience this one.  These snakes have very good camouflage and are almost undetectable in the leaf litter of a  swamp.  I found myself walking through a cypress forest near a spring run when out of the corner of my eye I see a white flash.  This two and a half foot cottonmouth had quickly opened and shut its mouth when I unknowingly approached it.  Flashing that snow or cotton white mouth at me was way more effective than I thought it ever could be.  Because this snake used it's warning I was spared by it.  The snake and I had a mutual interest and that was, neither of us wanted to touch the other.  Since copperheads are the same genus I'll quickly address their warning system.  They will shake their tail in the leaves to announce their presence.

Coral snakes are an elapid, related to cobras and mambas.  They are known to have the most toxic venom of any US snake.  These are so uncommon, non-aggressive, and easily avoided that in the state of Florida production of antivenin has been discontinued.  Coral snakes also spend most of their lives underground, only coming to the surface when they're moving from one location to another.  Of course coral snakes have very brightly colored bands that make them pretty obvious wherever they may be.

The point I want to make with this is that if you keep your wits about you and exercise good awareness then you really don't have to worry about venomous snakes.  They do play an important role in our ecosystems and as our cities encroach on wilderness areas we come into contact with them more and more.

If you ever have problems with snakes there are people you can call that will humanely relocate them.  I am one of those people, so if you want my number just send me a message to my email or facebook page.  Also there are people that do this for a living.

Once you get to know them, these snake really are alright.  Me with a pygmy rattlesnake.

No comments:

Post a Comment