Tuesday, September 10, 2013

How Did I Get into This?

To be honest, it all started with Tarzan.  Yes, I read Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's a brilliant read and you should go read it.  But how does the incredibly handsome ape-man relate to me loving nature and primitive stuff?  Tarzan made a grass rope.  That's where it all started.  As I read I tried to imagine how he did this and I didn't understand how you can make a rope.  I was completely ignorant of the process so I googled it!  It turns out there are a bunch of people on the internet making cordage from all kinds of things!  I tried it and was baffled that I could just walk into the wilderness and come out with a length of cord.  That got me to wondering about other primitive skills and I kept asking myself, "What else can I make for free?"  Now I'm working my way up to making bows and arrows of a quality that can kill big game.







Agave cordage used for bowstrings.  It is waxed with beeswax then reverse twisted over itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment