Thursday, May 7, 2015

Episode 1.4: I have some Explaining to Do...

I went herping.  Herp comes from Greek meaning something that creeps (along the ground) so it generally refers to reptiles and amphibians and that's where we get the word herpetology which is the study of reptiles and amphibians.  So, I met up with a herper and herped up some herps.  We both prefer to find snakes so we looked and looked for hours on end with no luck.  My friend, Josh, found a couple little ground dwelling snakes and that was cool but the real treat was finding a mud snake and that we found it during a really weird time.  Persistence pays off.  I want to focus on the personality of the mud snake though.  They are the honey badger of the aquatic snake world.  They just don't care.  They generally hunt in muddy water at night for a vicious species of salamander (sirens and amphiumas), some species getting three feet in length.  Then when you catch them they're super chill, slowly wriggle, and poke you with their barely pointy tail.  That coupled with their stunning black and red pattern makes them a really awesome snake in my opinion :)

1 comment:

  1. So if I army crawl and slither around on the floor for a bit, does that make me a herp?

    ReplyDelete