Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stump Shooting

Stump shooting is a form of archery practice where you basically just walk around the woods shooting whatever you want.  You don't have to shoot stumps but they make good targets for arrows to stick in to.  I like shooting low palm fronds because the arrow tears through them and makes a satisfying ripping noise.  Also, there is a low ecological impact of course.

In this video I went out into the woods at a place locally known as 5A.  Got some weird looks by the off roaders but no one dared approach the guy with a shark skin quiver full of arrows fletched with feathers from large game birds, with three stick bows slung over the shoulder and walking barefoot down well trodden paths. 

Some of these shots were a lot of work as I was by myself and had to set everything up then take my shots.  I set my GoPro to record at 120 frames per second so I could get those slow motion shots but my arrows were going so fast that I didn't quite get the affect I wanted but it turned out pretty good.

Shooting from the tree was fun but my target fell over once I got up there so I just shot at where it was and marked the spot in the video with an X.  I think I would have hit it had it not fallen.  That was not an easy tree to climb and climbing with a bow and a quiver didn't make things easier.  I think I need to practice climbing along branches like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment