Monday, January 13, 2014

Match Cord

Today I was messing with match cords.  Basically it's a string that you light on fire, then blow the fire out and a coal remains in the string and smolders slowly up the string.  The purpose of this string is so you can easily bring that smoldering coal from one place to another.  I did some experimentation with it today and I found that with a 1/4 inch cord made from sable palm fibers from between the branches of the palm I can hold a coal for an hour for each foot of cord.  So in a day I might walk for 9 hours at the most.  That means I would just need nine one foot lengths of cord.  Of course I would make a couple extras just in case because that coal is super important for when I make camp that night.  Being able to carry that coal would save me so much time and energy.  In a few days of traveling through the woods I would only have to make one friction fire... unless, I brought a coal with me initially on the journey.  Each day I could gather enough fibers to make the necessary amount of cord and just sit by my fire that night and work on cords for the next day.  I plan to use this on future adventures into the Florida wilderness and test how well works.  For now it has just been experimented with a little so the true test is when I'm actually depending on that coal for fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment