Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Good Stuff (stream of consciousness)

It's all around us.  Sometimes it smacks us in the face but more often than not the good stuff is very subtle and we hardly notice it unless we pick up on the subtlety and focus on it.  It's different for all of us and for me it almost always pertains to nature in some way.  Today I was burning off an old wood pile and it was mostly oak but there was some cedar in there and when I threw it on the fire that sweet smoke wafted here and there thrown by the wind and I got a big whiff of it in my face.  Memories came back to me of the last time I burnt cedar.  It was way the heck in the middle of nowhere last Summer back in the woods with a good friend.  That trip into the woods was pretty miserable but it was also a ton of fun.  After a night sleeping in the woods you start to get a wilderness high.  That's when friendships are formed and I made a good friend on that trip.  It's a blessing how an odor can bring back such good memories.  The mind is an amazing thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment