Monday, March 17, 2014

Coconuts: Survival in Paradise

Recently I took a trip down to south Florida.  While down there I seized the opportunity to collect some coconuts.  I climbed the palm like a chimp and twisted off five medium sized coconuts and let them fall.  I do enjoy hearing them thud on the ground as my forearm begins to tell me I need to get down before it lets gravity help me down.

Coconuts are absolutely key to survival on isolated islands, especially in the Pacific Ocean.  The coconut palm provides food, water, shelter, cordage, fuel (fire), and shade.  Now if I were to explain how one utilizes the coconut palm in the afore mentioned ways this would turn into an essay so if you have a question just leave a comment and I'd be glad to answer.

Coconut water is an amazing thing!  It hydrates the body and is always healthy and sterile out of the shell.  However, if you solely drink coconut water for an extended period it will act as diuretic which will cause you to lose a lot of that hydration so it is important to get some freshwater.  Luckily rain is pretty consistent throughout the range of the coconut palm.  The next thing that blows my mind about coconut water is that it can be transfused into human blood.  Yeah, you can hook up an IV of coconut water.  So if someone is ill you can put that stuff straight into their blood and it will hydrate them.

So when I visit areas and see coconut palms I know I should be able to last a little while and it's so important for me on my various adventures to be able to process them efficiently and confidently.

Check out the below videos on the process.  Until next time, go eat some coconuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment