Sunday, February 16, 2014

Knowledge/Experience Mining

Until this weekend I had never seen anyone's bows, arrows, or arrowheads.  I had only ever seen my own work and it was so refreshing seeing other people's work at the Dade City Knap-in.  I spent the weekend in Dade City making arrowheads and swapping knowledge and material. 

First I want to say that I met some of the most generous guys from the Primitive Archer forum.  I got a nutria pelt, river cane, lots of knapping rock, and a couple sets of pheasant tail feathers.  I was overwhelmed by all the gifts and was not expecting it at all.  Dinner was the same way with much sharing.  I hadn't prepared for this and felt a little guilty for not bringing something delicious to share so I made sure I did what any good Turk would do and accepted the food after the third time being offered.

Knowledge was also generously shared.  I've never made arrowheads with anyone so being able to show them the point and get an opinion on how to approach a problem was priceless.  I came fully loaded with questions and I was able to get answers for all of them.  After I asked all my questions I thought up new ones and asked them.  These guys were so patient and generous with me... even after a million stupid questions.

Unfortunately I was so busy learning and socializing that I didn't get any pictures or video.  It was a grand ol' time and what happens in Dade City, stays in Dade City.

I hope you have a great remainder of the day and find a new way to appreciate nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment