Monday, December 30, 2013

Connecting With the Past

Before Christmas I had the chance to go up to Georgia and visit some of my folks and run around the woods up there.  I had a great time with my cousins and in the woods but I had an experience that was both unexpected and strangely interesting. 

While walking a road on my great aunt's land I kept seeing chips of rock. By the way they were shaped I could tell that they had been chipped off of a larger rock and weren't placed here by geological forces.  When I picked up a few of these rocks there were marks where something had struck the rock and lifted a flake off of it.  This is essentially what flint knapping is.  Natives used this method to make their arrowheads, spearheads, drills, and blades.  This is what they used to process a deer.

There had obviously been a lot of Native American activity in the area so when I found a larger rock I had to make an arrowhead out of it.  It was such a strange feeling to pick up where a one of the most hardcore men in history had left off.  The man that worked on that rock was a survivor and in tune with nature to an extant that I will likely never be able to experience.

Working that arrowhead was a pleasure and taking flakes off for my own arrowheads was exciting!  I did make a small arrowhead and hafted it to an arrow.  I traded that arrow for a box full of antlers (tools) so I can make more arrowheads.

I hope y'all enjoy the video and this is an experience I hope to repeat... when I'm more experienced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment