Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Been Taking a lot of "knaps"

Flint knapping is the process of creating a sharp edge on any knappable stone.  For the most part I make stone arrowheads and knives by flint knapping.  Obsidian is probably the most well known knappable rock as it is the sharpest edge known to man.

I've been working on some hunting points so I made a variety of them to show to some of the pros to see which ones they liked the most.  The points are shown below.

I use only bone and antler to work these points just like our ancestors would have used.  It's been a fun challenge and I've learned a ton!  I'm still not so good at identifying the different types of materials but it doesn't really matter so long as I can make an arrowhead with it.  The favorite from the pros that I asked was number 10.  They liked that style the most for hunting.  For now I'll keep aiming for ones like that.  I may be doing some hunting soon so I need to get my equipment up to par!

No comments:

Post a Comment